[#42] Kim Sunggyu - "60 Seconds"

From: "Another Me"
Format: EP
Released: November
Territory: South Korea
Previous Best of Appearances: First Appearance

If there's one member in Infinite who deserves a solo release, it's Sunggyu. He's one of those members who have really defined the Infinite sound over the past three years -- an Infinite song isn't an Infinite song without Sunggyu's vocals. (and Woohyun's!) Which is why when "Shine" was released, I was disappointed, and when I heard the album for the first time I was underwhelmed, like the entire thing went right through me. I realize now that I was expecting something completely different, something more like Infinite's material, when I shouldn't be, because this isn't an Infinite release -- this is a Sunggyu release.

"60 Seconds" is the type of song that really grew on me after days of listening, and it'll probably get even better after this review is published. (That's the problem with the releases that come just before the cut-off date!) But for now, it's good enough to come in at #42!

I think one of the reasons why I didn't like this at first is that it's very understated, somewhat calm even, despite the very epic instrumental at the chorus. This is the type of song where you have to focus on the elements themselves and how they work together, not the delivery. If you don't focus it will really sound flat and boring around the edges.

The verses are gorgeous -- the melody is light, Sunggyu's vocals make it even lighter, and the instrumental goes from unassuming to urgent in the blink of an eye. The piano line laced with the guitar line is gorgeous, and a gentle contrast with the chorus. And the second verse gets even more urgent -- I love the drum line, I love it I love it I love it. It sounds a bit distant (which is probably due to the mixing), but I like that effect because it forces you to listen.

What you really have to focus on once the chorus hits is the contrast between the full band that comes in, and the melody that gets a lot sharper -- if you just focus on one or the other it's not really that interesting, but when you take the time to listen to how the two work together, it really gets epic. It's the same thing for the middle 8 -- gorgeous melody and gorgeous instrumental, but even better when you hear how those two elements mesh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share any of your thoughts on the above post? Drop a comment here! I read all comments and reply occasionally, especially if you have specific questions for me. :D

Note that comments are moderated. Spam, self-advertising (K-Pop-related and otherwise) and overly vulgar submissions will NOT be accepted. If you want me to promote/endorse/follow/link to your site, please e-mail me at popreviewsnow@gmail.com instead.

 

Recent Tweets

Like Pop Reviews Now on Facebook!

Statistics (Since May 2009)

Music - Top Blogs Philippines Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

You're reading an award-winning blog

The K-Pop Writers' Workshop


A workshop for writers of critical pieces on Korean entertainment -- formal reviews, expository essays/Op-eds, and personal essays/Creative Non-Fiction.
Learn from the best in K-Ent writing